Saturday, December 20, 2008

Taco Soup with Venison


I recently participated in a recipe exchange. Alas, I believe it was with my friends where the chain fell apart...after two weeks, I've only received three recipes. But the three I got look great!

Meg Poston sent me this taco soup recipe. I don't know where she got it, but she said she's modified it over time, getting it down to it's very simple current form. It is very good. I would really classify it more of a chili than a soup, but does that really matter on a cold winter night? No, not at all.

Making this recipe also gave me a chance to do some internet research. It calls for Rotel tomatoes, which I'd never heard of. In a rare fit of sanity, I decided to find out what they are before going to the grocery store. Good thing too, because my local International Market doesn't carry them. So, what they are is a brand of diced tomatoes with green chiles. After much poking around, I found a can of tomatoes with green chiles that I suspect was the same thing (or very darn close).

Taco Soup with Venison
1 lb lean venison, cubed (stew quality meat)
1 onion, chopped
1 pkg taco seasonings
1 pkg dry Ranch seasonings
2 large cans diced tomatoes, undrained
1 can Rotel tomatoes, undrained
1 can black beans
1 can pinto beans
1 1/2 cups frozen whole kernel corn (or one can of corn)

I made this in a crock pot. To do that, sauté the onions in olive oil. Then put all the ingredients in the crock pot and cook on low 4-6 hours.

If you want to use the stovetop, then brown the meat with the onion in a soup pot. Add seasonings. Drain beans and corn. Add to meat along with tomatoes. Simmer until well blended and hot.

Serve with Tostitos or Fritos, sour cream and grated cheese. Eat and enjoy.

No comments: