Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Easy Venison Calzone


I've been looking for recipes that are easy for Rick to take to work...that means easy to heat, can be eaten hot or cold (he gets interrupted a lot), and not to fragrant (he owns a massage center, so the smell of spicy food isn't a good thing).

Calzones seem to fit the criteria, so I've been searching for recipes. I found this one on YouTube (actually, I found it anywhere I searched for Venison Calzone, so I thought I should try it).

The video doesn't provide amounts, so I looked up other recipes to get an idea of about how much of each ingredient is necessary. I think I got it about right. We ate this two nights in a row, and it was definitely better the second night. Also, it doesn't have any of the usual Italian flavors...that was okay with me, but Rick wanted the oregano. That said, it was very easy to make and looks pretty.

Easy Venison Calzone
1 15 oz can diced tomatoes
1 tsp Fennel seed
1 tbs Olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
1 lb ground venison
1/2 green pepper, chopped
1 cup romano cheese
4 oz mozzarella, shredded
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 Pizza dough recipe (I used the prepared dough from Trader Joe's)

Preheat oven to 400. Roll out dough, making oblong shape about 1/4 inch thick. Spread tomato down center of dough, and top with browned ground venison, green pepper, mozzarella, and romano cheese, salt and pepper. Fold ends of dough and roll. Brush with egg and sprinkle with sesame. Bake in a jelly roll pan until golden brown, about 15 minutes. Cool five minutes, slice and serve.

If you want to make your own dough, I found this recipe on Cooks.com:
GOOD 'N EASY PIZZA DOUGH

1 pkg. active dry yeast
1 c. warm water (105 to 115 degrees)
1 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. salt
2 tbsp. salad oil
2 1/2 c. flour
If using self-rising flour, omit salt in dough.) Note: Unbleached flour can be used in this recipe.

No comments: