Saturday, November 22, 2008

Look at the Size of that Rack


I'm a lucky woman. When my husband says "look at the size of that rack," I know he's only got eyes for the antlers on the buck he's admiring.

We've been in Colorado for a week, spending time with my family and remembering my father. Every afternoon, Rick and I went on little adventures. Two days, those adventures led us to tracks of land for sale*. On each occasion, we got to meet some of the local mule deer, who apparently are not too skitish around people.
When we couldn't get Bucky to even look at us while we honked the horn at him, Rick got out of the car to go have a little heart-to-heart. The buck finally looked up when Rick got within 15 feet, but only to snort and go back to feeding.

Where's the bow when you need it?

I've also learned on this trip that most of my relatives hunt. I had no idea. I've known these people all my life, but it never came up in conversation. Rick was thrilled. In fact, I'm not sure I'm going to be able to get him on the plane tomorrow...I think he wants to stay out here. So, despite the very sad circumstances, this has actually been a pretty interesting and fun week!

No comments: